When it comes to the new-age of search engine optimization (SEO), keywords and content have become more important than ever. Google, Bing and Yahoo are constantly honing their algorithms to improve the searcher’s experience by providing search-result web pages with good, relevant content that matches the keyword query made.
Content is not always king. There is good content and bad content. The content that eventually becomes king is relevant to the search term used to find it. There needs to be a delicate balance when writing good content for a website page by following Google’s counsel, “write for people, not search engines.”
Here are some tips to help with this delicate balance with good keywords and content:
- Keywords – You need to identify and list just what keyword or keyword phrases you are trying to rank for, remembering that longer tail keywords are easier to rank for than popular head terms.
- Keyword Moderation – Keep the keyword list down to a few good and important ones. Don’t try to rank for every keyword you can think of for the page.
- Competitive Web Pages – Review the website pages that are ranking on the 1st page of Google for your keywords. Look at the keywords on these pages and explore their placement within the content. Look at how many times the keywords are used, and try to match a similar keyword count within your content.
- Content Title – Select a good title (H1) for your content using your main keyword.
- Keywords and Content – Write your content so that it flows, using the keywords and phrases that fit naturally.
- Relevancy – Make sure that your content is relevant to the topic of your website page.
- Meta Tags – Tie your Title tag, H1 tag and image alt text together using your keywords.
- Content Length – Try to write enough content to have between 300 and 800 words.
- Fresh Content – If you can, freshen your content from time to time.
- Satisfy Searcher – Try to satisfy what your searcher is looking for by addressing or answering the needs of their search query.
Over time these tips have proven to be best practices for improving rank and placement for web pages. Use them, and you’ll see good results.